Dogs are welcome off leash at any time on Ardrossan Beach.
Ardrossan is an interesting old town with excellent facilities for visitors and those interested in fishing the jetty or gulf. The town straddles a small creek, which has cut a gully though the red bluffs, at the end of which, is 150 m long pocket of high tide sand is located either side of the town jetty.
Three hundred meter wide seagrass covered sand flats front the beach, which is not only bisected by the 400 m long jetty but also crossed by three wooden groynes.
A park and amenities back the beach, which is mainly used for launching boats, with swimming only possible at high tide. The main deep water boat ramp is located at the new jetty 1.5 km south of the town.Ardrossan was originally known as Clay Gully, after the gully with early settlers living in dugouts. It was proclaimed a town and named Ardrossan in 1873.